seeking ideas about the style of exam?

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hy2958

seeking ideas about the style of exam?

Post by hy2958 » Thu May 03, 2007 2:21 am

I am preparing a two-hour examination paper for my Chinese MBA students to test their English proficiency after one-year learning. Instead of using the traditional items like vocabulary, reading comprehension, writing etc.., I want to use some other ways (games?) so that students will have fun and I will tell not only their English proficiency but their thinking patterns as well.

I'd appreciate any suggestion.

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Fri May 04, 2007 5:36 pm

I'd be a bit careful about giving a test which is considerably different in format from what students expect. They'll be stressed already, and change is often perceived as scary, not fun.

You could have them read a short situation and give their opinions on what would be the best outcome.

Examples:
a boss asks an assistant to stay late on Friday to complete a rush project; the assistant has promised his mother that he'll be at her birthday party

a salesman is trying to get a big order from a foreign manufacturer, and the VP of purchasing for the foreign company hints that if they can "cooperate"--ie if the salesman pays a bribe--the order will be given

a company discovers that its product is dangerous and may cause injury, but it will cost a lot of money to recall all the products; should it recall the products or wait and see if any injuries occur?

Or you could put humor into a true-false or multiple choice format (harder to write, easier to grade!)

walrus

Post by walrus » Sun May 13, 2007 6:10 am

hy2958, what are you testing? If it's oral skills, I have a set of topics that can be adapted to any class. However, I use the basic format as pair work in 80% of my classes so they aren't doing anything different - only that I listen instead of a peer.

I would suggest no really different things. Test what is taught. Exams are traumatic enough without surprises.