wanted/want

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

metal56

wanted/want

Post by metal56 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:10 am

I wanted to speak to you today.
I want to speak to you today.

Do both those express a desire at the moment of speaking, IYO?

lolwhites

Post by lolwhites » Thu May 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Depends on context, but the first could refer to a present situation if the speaker is trying to sound polite. In the same way, you might ring someone up and say "I was calling to ask..."

Of course, I wanted to speak to you today could be followed by ... but now I realise it won't be possible. In which case, the desire could still be present, even if it's no longer realisable.

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Thu May 17, 2007 3:55 pm

The second form expresses distance, whether emotional, social or temporal.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri May 18, 2007 6:07 am

Random thoughts: while 'I was wanting to speak to you' is fine, 'I'm wanting to speak to you' isn't. (As for present progressive, could it be equally substituted for by past progressive?).

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:14 am

Stephen Jones wrote:The second form expresses distance, whether emotional, social or temporal.
By "the second form", do you mean "the second example above", or are you referring to what is traditionally called the past simple?

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:15 am

fluffyhamster wrote:Random thoughts: while 'I was wanting to speak to you' is fine, 'I'm wanting to speak to you' isn't. (As for present progressive, could it be equally substituted for by past progressive?).
And how about "I will want to speak to you tomorrow" and "*?I will be wanting to speak to you tomorrow"?

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri May 18, 2007 6:35 am

Sorry, I was wrestling with 'I will have been wanting to have never been spoken to after perhaps having a speak with you about speaking', and it's worn me out. Back soon!

metal56

Post by metal56 » Fri May 18, 2007 6:47 am

fluffyhamster wrote:Sorry, I was wrestling with 'I will have been wanting to have never been spoken to after perhaps having a speak with you about speaking', and it's worn me out. Back soon!
That's big enough for tag-team wrestling. Go have coffee.

Stephen Jones

Post by Stephen Jones » Fri May 18, 2007 8:22 am

I was using the alternative terminology for the past simple.

Fluffy raises an interesting point about the progressive aspect and want when he points out how rare it is to see the present continous.

The reason is that the continuous aspect stresses the fact that the 'action' is taking place in a specific period of time with a beginning and end. So no problem with "I've been wanting to talk to you for a long time'. There seems to be a social convention with "I was wanting/hoping/expecting".

In the Present Continuous it is difficult to envisage a situation where the beginning and ending of the desire is so important, since the desire itself takes primacy.
The boss wants you to finish this today.
*The boss is wanting you to finish this today.

If however you are making an observation then the importance of the desire itself no longer takes primacy.
The Democrats are wanting Bush to become a lame-duck President.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Thu May 24, 2007 12:16 pm

fluffyhamster wrote:Random thoughts: while 'I was wanting to speak to you' is fine, 'I'm wanting to speak to you' isn't. (As for present progressive, could it be equally substituted for by past progressive?).
Actually I meant to say 'As for present perfect progressive, could it be equally substituted by past perfect progressive?' there. Not that it's very important. :)

metal56

Post by metal56 » Thu May 24, 2007 1:36 pm

fluffyhamster wrote:
Actually I meant to say 'As for present perfect progressive, could it be equally substituted by past perfect progressive?' there. Not that it's very important. :)
I making a "request" for an audience with someone, the past perfect progessive gives a feeling of anteriority, duration and states the prsent existence of the unfulfilled desire, IMO. When used alone, the past simple/second form does not.

I've been wanting to speak to you (for some time now). Now, please sit down.
?*I was wanting to speak to you (for some time now). = My desire no longer exists.

I wanted to speak to you. = My desire still exists.