Recommendations for Pairwork for Young Learners

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Sapphire

Recommendations for Pairwork for Young Learners

Post by Sapphire » Tue May 29, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I live in Asia and am going to London this July and would like to buy some good books to do Pariwork for Young Learners.

My students are mainly French and their ages range from 6 - 16. I give private lessons, so I'm looking for books on Pairwork. I don't normally teach young learners ESL but have had such an influx since last year and I feel that I'm running out of ideas.

I have books/materials that I try to adapt for them, but some of them are real beginners and the topics/pictures are too difficult for them. These are the books that I have:
1) Pairwork 1, 2 3 by Peter Watcyn-Jones
2) Primary Communication Box by Carol Nixon and Michael Tomlinson
3) Grammar Games and Activities 1 & 2 by Peter Watcyn Jones and Deirdre Howard-Williams
4) Jill Hadfield's Communication Games (all 4 books) & her Elementary and Intermediate Vocabulary Games
5) Many others, but the books above are the ones that I use the most often.

Do you guys have any ideas on other books to recommend for games? Grammar Games, Vocab games, communication games, etc.

Some the books my students use are Super Me, the Jolly Phonics syllabus, Fanfare 1 & 2, Chit Chat 1 & 2, Cambridge English and Headway.

I don't want to buy their books as the school changes the books yearly and they may not use the same syllabus next year (in Sept), plus I don't want to do the same thing as their teachers, but want something to complement their lessons. I would like some books like those that I have listed above, but catered to YOUNG learners.

I have heard that FOYLES is a good place to get books. Are there any other places that you guys would recommend?

Thanks in advance.