How to improve my language

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

binu

How to improve my language

Post by binu » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:40 am

i am working as a high school teacher at india. my language is very poor .how to improve it ?

markkarina

Try the chat

Post by markkarina » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:34 pm

Binu,

Try the chat here as that should help you.

gunsandpickups

Post by gunsandpickups » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:53 am

The BBC has a brilliant website with lots of online materials. There is a section on learning english but there are hundreds of radio programs on every topic to listen to. I think this is really important as I find that alot of English learners in Asia have very good grammar but struggle when actually speaking to a Native English Speaker because they are not used to the speed,slang, accents and short forms. The BBC for better or worse has plenty of regional UK accents.

My advice is to listen to as much as you can everyday and practice speaking whenever you can. My own personal belief is that grammar and strucutre evolve with confidence and exposure rather than just reading and learning a grammar book.

I have made the assumption that you want to Focus on British English. I think the Austrailia Network has similar facilities and I am sure there is an American equivalent.