Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

good book to help with business/meeting language/etiquette?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
k9fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: good book to help with business/meeting language/etiquette? Reply with quote

I have a tutoring client who has lived in the U.S. for many years but is not confident in her English. Her goal in hiring me is to feel more comfortable and function better at her mid-level high-tech job.

At our initial meeting she said that she doesn't know how to make herself heard in a meeting or how to represent her department in an optimal light during a presentation. She feels this is partly because she isn't confident in her English and partly because she doesn't really understand American meeting behavior.

I'm looking for resources to help me help her with the latter. For example, we agreed that I would come up with a list of common expressions that people use in meetings, things like "Could you clarify that for me?", "Let me restate that to see if I understand," even things like, "Just let me complete this thought" to stave off interruptions. She feels that with such an arsenal, she will know what to say when situations come up.

I think there must be some good resources for foreigners on meeting behavior, and perhaps even lists of expressions such as those I mentioned above. Can anyone point me to such resources?

Thanks in advance!
eslweb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Business ELT books Reply with quote

Quite a few of the book series cover this material including: Working in English (Cambridge University Press) and Market Leader (Longman). There's also another useful book by Cambridge University press called: DecisionMaker.

I have put quite a bit on my Website, which you might find useful at:
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/index.htm

James
Eric18

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Great question Reply with quote

You asked a great question. The best book that I've found is called "What's Up, America" by Diane something. In a conversational and witty writing style, she covers dozens of topics about peculiar American manners, habits, and beliefs. Sometimes she exaggerates a bit to make her points clear, but she has done her homework and cites her sources - usually the Census Bureau and legitimate public opinion polls.

Good luck.

Shalom

Eric
www.compellingconversations.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: