I greatly need help

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

wangfang_tian

I greatly need help

Post by wangfang_tian » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:40 am

I want to write a Master thesis about ESL teaching and learning because I have been a senior high school English teacher for years in China. However, I don't know how to search useful free literature or how to make use of them. I greatly need your help.

Linda T.

Post by Linda T. » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:40 pm

I am not in a Master's Program and have never written a Master's Thesis, but if you will be doing your research in the states, my suggestion would be to get help from the reference librarians at both the public and university libraries. Through both your university and local public library, you will probably have online access to the full texts of a number of articles to help you. The reference librarian can help you learn how to search for documents online and how to decide which "key terms" to use for your search depending upon what the objective of your thesis is. You will also need to find out what type of citation format is expected for your paper as there are different ways of listing resources in the bibliography and of cross referencing particular sources on your bibliography with parenthetical notations within the text of your paper. I use the MLA handbook for my papers, but I believe you can access the formats online without having to purchase the handbook. Often, you even have the option of being able to view the citation format of your choice from the source which hosts your resource online. If you are not in the states . . . I don't have a clue how you would go about getting the info you need. Either way . . . good luck (and just be sure you chose an objective for your thesis that you are genuinely interested in. I'm sure that will make all the difference in the world).

blackmagicABC

Post by blackmagicABC » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:02 am

When searching for academic information there is a very good possibility that you will eventually find sites that are link to universities and other education institutions. Some of them may require a registration fee but it is not much and usually well worth it.
I would also recommend you go to Dr. Krashen's website (I think it is krashen.com) as there is some useful information there also.
Also look at or search for IJFLT (I think it is International Journal for Language teachers). As far as I know it is free and I have found some excellent articles by well renowned and respected experts in their journals.