How to teach writing in secondary school?

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

wuyinxue315

How to teach writing in secondary school?

Post by wuyinxue315 » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:56 am

I will teach secondary school student in a few months. I want to know more methods of teaching, especially how to teach writing. i think writng is hard to teach. is there any effective way?

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:36 am

This is one of the best books I've seen for teaching writing. Hope it helps.

Writers Inc.: A Student Handbook for Writing And Learning by Sebranek, Patrick Sebranek, Dave Kemper, and Verne Meyer

zhaoli

Re: How to teach writing in secondary school?

Post by zhaoli » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:54 am

I dont know how to teach English writing in high school, I am confused, please give some help, thanks!

Lotus

Post by Lotus » Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:01 am

Zhaoli,

It may be obvious, but one thing that is indispensable to learning how to write well is to read extensively.

That said, allow me to refer you to the book mentioned in my last post.

First, understand that there are many different kinds of writing. Before you can teach writing, you have to know what kind of writing skills your students need to concentrate on. Are they writing research papers, creative prose, a CV, email, business letter, etc? Focus on the skills required for one kind of writing, have them read examples of the kind of writing you are teaching, discuss and demonstrate the patterns in class, and then turn them loose to do a lot of writing.

The Writer's INC book will guide you through the phases of writing; like ideas and content, organization, voice, word choice, sentence fluency and conventions. That last is things like punctuation, paragraphing, grammar and capitalization.

Good luck with your class.