How to advertise/get new students?

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Jamie62477

How to advertise/get new students?

Post by Jamie62477 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:27 pm

I would like to start my own ESL teaching/tutoring business and wondering if any of you could give me some pointers?

I am in the middle of reading a few online teaching/turoing books and have even thought about taking TESOL.org's courses for teaching online. What other sources can you recommend?

What software do you recommend? (I can use Skype, MSN/Yahoo Messenger, email, and have found several whiteboard sites.......

I would really like to know who to find/locate/advertise to get ESL students...? Any free websites?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!
ESLTeacherJamie

Kootvela

Post by Kootvela » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:33 pm

It surely depends on the audience. For example, I come from Lithuania where online tutoring tradition is just developing. We have some distance courses but the majority of people prefer face to face lessons. Also, older people are not very computer literate, so if it's Skype or Mars, the same thing to them :lol:

I teach private students as a freelancer. My main source for getting students is free internet advertisement boards. When I write in many using certain keywords (teacher of English, private lessons, etc) a lot of them show up when I google for these keywords.