Books for Speaking

<b> Forum for teachers and administrators of IEP programs </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

scriby

Books for Speaking

Post by scriby » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:46 am

I am looking for good books for speaking classes for small children and very low level adults.
Any ideas or suggestions?

WisconsinMom

Re: Books for Speaking

Post by WisconsinMom » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:46 pm

scriby wrote:I am looking for good books for speaking classes for small children and very low level adults.
Any ideas or suggestions?

I would love some ideas too. I'm afraid of getting books that are geared toward children...but I need my student to read some simple stories and then we can talk about them.

Eric18

Simple Conversation Books

Post by Eric18 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Good question!

On the lower levels, I found Conversation Book 1 works for adult students. The book provides a list of 20-25 key words, a handful of questions, and some basic illustrations. Designed for immigrants to the United States, the text focuses on practical "life skills" such as going to a pharmacy, shopping at a supermarket, attending class, etc. Another option for low-intermediate speakers might be "Talking Your Head Off" which provides 10-12 questions on common conversation topics.

My own book, designed for advanced ESL students, includes over 1400 questions, 250 proverbs, and more than 500 quotations to encourage student conversation. You can find some free sample chapters at www.compellingconversations.com .

In the United States, speaking skills often get neglected. Partly this comes from a focus on standardized test scores in adult education programs. It's far easier to test passive skills like reading and listening comprehension than writing and speaking. Class sizes is another factor limiting the creation of enough quality conversation books for ESL students.

Good luck.

Ask more. Know more. Speak more.
Create Compelling Conversations.
Visit www.CompellingConversations.com