Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent!! Need help for 1:1 Intensive Speaking Upper-Int

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thriae

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Urgent!! Need help for 1:1 Intensive Speaking Upper-Int Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have a new student who needs 5 hours of speaking every week for 5 weeks. Does anyone have any good resources to help me with this??

Thanks everyone for your ideas!!!
Eric18

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Check out Compelling Conversations Reply with quote

Visit www.compellingconversations.com . The website includes self-contained, reproducible conversation lessons with 30+ questions, 5 proverbs, 10 vocabulary words, and a dozen or so pithy quotes on 45 different topics.

As the author of Compelling Conversations: Questions and Quotations on Timeless Topics, I'm quite biased. But I wrote the book because I needed material for a conversation class that met 4 hours a week, 15 weeks in a row. Try it. See if it matches your style.
iain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If discussion is going to be a major component of the course, LTP's Issues and Taboos can be a great source; although, depending on who you're teaching, you might not always feel at ease with every topic.
Eric18

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Good point Reply with quote

That's a very fair consideration. One reason that I include proverbs and quotations in my book is to show how intelligent, articulate and famous people disagree. We sometimes, it seems to me, fail to provide enough room for students to honestly express themselves. Giving students freedom also means giving them permission, even encourage, to skip any question that seems awkward, inappropriate, or boring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Intensive English Programs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: