Urgent!! Need help for 1:1 Intensive Speaking Upper-Int

<b> Forum for teachers and administrators of IEP programs </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Thriae

Urgent!! Need help for 1:1 Intensive Speaking Upper-Int

Post by Thriae » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

I have a new student who needs 5 hours of speaking every week for 5 weeks. Does anyone have any good resources to help me with this??

Thanks everyone for your ideas!!!

Eric18

Check out Compelling Conversations

Post by Eric18 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:09 am

Visit www.compellingconversations.com . The website includes self-contained, reproducible conversation lessons with 30+ questions, 5 proverbs, 10 vocabulary words, and a dozen or so pithy quotes on 45 different topics.

As the author of Compelling Conversations: Questions and Quotations on Timeless Topics, I'm quite biased. But I wrote the book because I needed material for a conversation class that met 4 hours a week, 15 weeks in a row. Try it. See if it matches your style.

iain

Post by iain » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:14 pm

If discussion is going to be a major component of the course, LTP's Issues and Taboos can be a great source; although, depending on who you're teaching, you might not always feel at ease with every topic.

Eric18

Good point

Post by Eric18 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:20 am

That's a very fair consideration. One reason that I include proverbs and quotations in my book is to show how intelligent, articulate and famous people disagree. We sometimes, it seems to me, fail to provide enough room for students to honestly express themselves. Giving students freedom also means giving them permission, even encourage, to skip any question that seems awkward, inappropriate, or boring.