New Online: Learn English with Pictures

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jrichman

New Online: Learn English with Pictures

Post by jrichman » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi Everyone !

This week I launched a new website called:
Learn English with Pictures
http://www.my-english-dictionary.com/

Learn English with Pictures is a free, online, resource to
learn English words in a fun way. The site has over 400 words
and photographs ranging from animals to kitchen appliances.
The interface is simple and both kids and adults who are learning
English will find this educational website entertaining and useful.

Feedback is welcome.

Have a good day,
Jacob

Matty

Post by Matty » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:28 am

Some constructive (I hope) feedback:

Mmm... flash cards.

They're an excellent resource when used by an experienced teacher but on their own?

From a student's point of view, think about:

# How do I pronounce this word?

# How do I use this word?

# Can I have some examples?

# When/Where do we commonly use this word?

# Are there any common 'verb phrases' that I can use it with? e.g. 'to go home', 'to walk down the street', 'to answer the phone'

# Are there any particles that I have to be aware of? e.g. 'aware of', 'interested in', 'the housework', 'my homework'

Hope this helps. :)

declineandfall

Post by declineandfall » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:53 pm

For a flash card exercise that deals with the issues that Matty mentions (pronunciation, examples, notes on usage, etc.), see http://decline-and-fall.net/vocabcards.

This exercise uses word or picture prompts. It's free for anybody to use to create their own exercises.

Creating an exercise uses an approach that Matty also mentions in another post: the exercise plays in a Flash movie in a browser, but all the exercise files (text, pronunciation mp3s and image files) are kept separately from the Flash movie, and loaded when the exercise starts. This makes it possible to author an exercise without knowing how to program Flash. The main exercise details are in an xml text file: I've provided a separate Flash movie to generate the xml file.

imkimjeng

Post by imkimjeng » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:16 am

I consider that creating a section of grouping words by topic would be beneficial for learner's memorization. Here are two suggestions for the site. One is that giving some sentences for each word would make learners understand better of the usage or context of a word. The other is the video clip of a set of words is not motivated. Probably editing clips with background music and providing model pronunciation by matching the musical tempo would facilitate learner's memorization. However, I found that most of the words in this website are nouns. Even though the delicate efforts for the website, I'm afraid that it would be replaced easily by search engine. To consolidate the value of this website, maybe animation and video clips could be created to show the meaning of verbs or comparison of two picture could be used for explaining of adjectives.