Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to teaching...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chengdutoo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: New to teaching... Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm hoping for a little advice...

I've just been offered a teaching position in Chengdu in China. The job is teaching English to major international corporations. Having never taught English before, let alone to people who may already be familiar with our language, I'm a little daunted and wondering if this right for me as a first appointment?

I would be very grateful for any help and assistance you may be able to offer.

Thank you
cozcrew

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I can't offer you any advice as I'm not an EFL teacher (yet)...but am considering it. I was looking at targeting teaching business english to business professionals or small classes of employees in corporations.

I was wondering if you could tell me how you got the job offer and what organization is it for? ie. will you be working for an organization that provides teaching services to other businesses specifically, etc.? or were you offered a job with an organization who wants you to teach THEY'RE employees english?

I'm trying to get an idea of how this type of service/market works and how much opportunity there is, and what it pays, etc. so any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Living Languages Madrid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Business classes can vary a bit depending on the levels of the students but so that you can have a basic idea, some things I would use are:

Role plays relevant to the student's jobs.
Telephone English if necessary for the student's work.
Specific business English vocabulary.
Email writing practice.
Having students prepare and give business presentations to the class.

Anyway, these are just some ideas, good luck with the job!

http://livinglanguages.net/english-teachers/teach-english-in-madrid.html

http://livinglanguages.net
eslweb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Business Resources Reply with quote

I've been teaching Business English and I've collected up a few of the more useful resources: http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/

Also its worth looking at the Market Leader series of books. They're probably about the best there is for giving you an idea of the topics to be covered. Also some classes feature a degree of cultural lessons. i.e. differences between Western and Eastern culture.

James
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: