Total Physical Response - methodology.

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

martyboy

Total Physical Response - methodology.

Post by martyboy » Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:07 pm

Has anybody tried 'Live Action English' i.e. the methodology known as Total Physical Response as espoused by James Asher. A lot has been claimed for it on another blogsite.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Here is one look at it. I have used it and found it useful as part of what I do.
http://www4.ujaen.es/~gluque/TPR_Presentation.pdf

martyboy

Total Physical Response

Post by martyboy » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:38 pm

I am always sceptical at what appears to be so unusual. I have ordered a book by Romijn and others 'Live Action English' and will give it a try.
I am doing some teaching in a small under funded rural school in Thailand and getting feedback that the kids are taught by local teachers and visiting volunteers. I suspect their reading skill is non-existent so I need a miracle to get them talking English. I won't be there long so I want to prioritise their speaking.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:56 am

I think if the book looks interesting to you and you want to teach it, your students will learn and enjoy it. I've used the "Live Action English" computer program before, but not the actual book, although I've used similar activities in the past. Take what you like of the methodology, and add what feels comfortable to you. That's my advice ;)

Donnetta

Post by Donnetta » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:59 pm

TPR is AWESOME! Definitely give it a try. I have used it to teach ESL and to teach Spanish to English speakers and have had nothing but SUCCESS! It is fun and interactive and the students learn at a rapid fire pace. And most of all, they enjoy it! Make sure that you read up on it thourallly first so that you know exactly how and what to do without having to constantly refer to the book. And then watch your students SOAR!!