Connected speech

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

popeti

Connected speech

Post by popeti » Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 am

I have been teaching English and training English teachers in Indonesia for more than 4 years now.

Around 95% of English students in Indonesia speak word for word, instead of connecting the words. The say come-in instead of co-min or how-are-you instead of /ha-wa-yu/ . When speaking word for word, they actually breathe in and out with every word they say and this is very tiring and sounds robot-like.

I know that there are many pronunciation rules but would like to ask if there are any breathing techniques to practice fluent speech.

Would appreciate any comments ....

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Are they really breathing before each word? I think you would pass out if you did that. If you try to talk like a robot, you stop after each word, but don't take a breath.

Try some exercises where they put words together, emphasizing the connection between the last consonant sound and the next vowel sound. It happens inside words as well as between words. Here's something from my website in case it's of any help: http://fog.ccsf.cc.ca.us/~lfried/activi ... ngexp.html

popeti

Post by popeti » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:02 am

You are right, they are not really breathing between the words but they do stop breathing out because they break between words. Will have a look at your website, thanks

lisie

Post by lisie » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:53 pm

It sounds to me like the issue is not just connected speech. It could also be word and sentence stress.

You could try some exercises that help them practice stressing the important words in their sentences. The important words should be louder and have longer vowels in comparision to the other functional words in a sentence.

Rp

Connected Speech

Post by Rp » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:07 pm

I believe Lisie is closer to the mark in her reply.

English is a stress-timed language, with syllables occurring with regular occurances. Other languages are syllable timed. Building fluidity in connect speech requires your students to develop a flow which may seem unnatural to them. Try "jazz chants" and similiar rythmn methods to assit in the acquisition of flow.

Thanx
Rp