Any books that teach English teachers how to draw for class?

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bradwelljackson

Any books that teach English teachers how to draw for class?

Post by bradwelljackson » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:26 am

You know, as English teachers, especially if we are teaching kids, we are often in the situation where we need to draw something in order to show what we mean. It usually ends up being something like an animal or food or some such thing. Are there any books for English teachers who can't draw well, you know, something that can teach a teacher how to use simple drawing techniques to make a passable image of the most common characters?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Here is probably the easiest one:
www.eslmonkeys.com/book/teacher/blackboard_drawing.pdf

but there is a beatiful one that really creates art

http://www.kellscraft.com/BlackboardDra ... tPage.html

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:05 pm

The "VSO style" is similar to Andrew Wright's:
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=2VRx ... rew+wright

IIRC he did a few OUP books on storytelling too, that include the use of drawings.

Or you could just get one of those "How to Draw Anything" sort of books that you see in bargain bookstores; that, or practise/draw a fair amount in your spare time, whilst developing materials (I've posted a few examples on Imageshack of what can be "achieved" if you put your pen or rather your mind to it).

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks to both of you for your answers. Sally, your first book seems very good, but I can't see how to order it. I can't find it on Amazon. Can you tell me how I might get my hands on it? I'm in China (Tangshan to be exact, close to Beijing).

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:30 pm

I just found it on line and thought you could download it if a PDF file. If you can't I will try and copy it onto this forum.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:09 pm

Yeah, it's downloadable and would be easily printable (it comes to less than two dozen pages, and the stick figures should still be perfectly legible). More of a pamphlet than a proper book (still good and useful though, especially for free!).

bradwelljackson

Post by bradwelljackson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:26 am

Thanks to Sally and Sir Fluffy! Me and my boss were able to get this printed and it's turned out to be quite a revelation for us and our school. You guys were kind to help us out on this.