TEACHING BY TELEPHONE (SKYPE ETC.)

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Can lessons conducted by phone be AS effective as live lessons?

Poll ended at Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:33 am

yes, as good or better
No votes
It depends on the subject.
50%
No, nothing compares to a live lesson!
50%

Total votes: 2

sstamey

TEACHING BY TELEPHONE (SKYPE ETC.)

Post by sstamey » Sat May 03, 2008 9:33 am

Kind of a variation on the Telephone English topic, and not necessarily always linked to business, but I'm wondering about the possibility and method involved in telephone lessons (lessons actually given on the phone). It seems quite feasible when we think about upper levels, but is it also possible with lower levels and Toefl prep? My school is starting to approach this possibility and I'd like to be prepared.

Thanks in advance for any kind of info.
S.

Panpan

Lesson over the internet phone

Post by Panpan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:17 am

Hi,
Technically speaking it could be. Pragmatically speaking it's often dealing with bandwith that's not always what it should be.
It has logistic advantages. People can do it from their home. They don't have to spend time traveling and (thus waisting).
A home environment is often considered to be warmer. You should have a virtual whiteboard though.

DaveT

I am teaching this way now...

Post by DaveT » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:13 am

Over the past month I started teaching using MSN or Skype or QQ in China. Skype works best as the sound quality is very good most always. I like being able to use the web camera so I can do flash cards.

Actually, I am just starting up an internet web site to do this. Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Dave