Pronunciation correction for Slavic and Farsi L1's

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

charliesdad

Pronunciation correction for Slavic and Farsi L1's

Post by charliesdad » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi Forum!

One of my new students comes from Bulgaria. Similar to some of the Russians I have met, he pronounces "have" as "hef" (sorry my phonetics knowledge is a bit poor and I'm in a hurry or I would write it out with IPA symbols) and "so" as "saou." Does anyone have a suggestion about resources for teachers and students about patterns of Slavic L1 pronunciation interference and suggestions for correcting these patterns?

Thanks!

CD

PS As a Canadian, I have lots of material comparing French and English grammar, pronunciation and the like. My resources for other language groups are wanting. I have another student who speaks Dari (Afghan Farsi) and I don't have much to go on.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Have you tried Swan & Smith's Learner English? It has chapters on two Slavonic languages (Russian and Polish), and Farsi.
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=5jVg ... ry_s&cad=0

charliesdad

Post by charliesdad » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:02 am

Thanks Fluffy for suggesting this fascinating reference! The link you provided allows for extensive previewing of the book's contents.

charliesdad

Post by charliesdad » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:28 am

Well. not the link but the site/web page the link points to (to which it points?). Ahhh, I'm trying to be sooo perfect I can't stand myself!! Come to think of, "to stand myself?" "To sit myself?"

Time to go watch some TV... :)

eeaston

Post by eeaston » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:49 pm

http://www.btinternet.com/~ted.power/phono.html

Ted Power has a page of information.

Eva Easton

charliesdad

Thanks for post

Post by charliesdad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks Eva -- CD