a good way to encourage students to write blog in English?

<b> Forum on how to use video in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

david_3d3c

a good way to encourage students to write blog in English?

Post by david_3d3c » Wed May 23, 2007 10:07 am

Many students begin to write their own blog, but most of them are in mother tongue, so is it a good way to encourage students to write in English?What kind of difficulties are waiting for teacher and students?

cindy geng

Post by cindy geng » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:59 am

writing blog is a good way to improve writing,and if the student get some
some active feedback,they will be more interested.what websites do you suggest to your students?

Rocío

Post by Rocío » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I've just created a blog for my students to write. I set a topic and they have to answer, and share their ideas. I hope it works!!! You can visit it and you can leave your comments, (where it says "comentarios"), if you do so, my students will see that the blog is not just for me, but that what they write can be useful for other people around the world too. :D

The blog is:
http://www.rociotheteacher.blogspot.com

Thank you

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:00 am

This is an old topic, but one of the most important first steps for the teacher is to be ready with writing topics. You need to have themes and maybe examples of what the students should write.

I'd start really simple, maybe have them review another website. I'd also require them to comment on 2 or 3 other students blogs. As the teacher, you might get very busy. You should be trying to comment on all of the blog posts.

Those are just some suggestions and thoughts on that.

- Mark

ESL vocabulary videos | printable cards | certificate templates

buniac1

Post by buniac1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:09 pm

I think writing a blog is a great way of improving one's writing skills. Beforehand, a teacher must explain the task to be done with this blog and set realistic goals concerning the blog. Using technologies will enhance the participation of students. Since a blog is often personal, teacher should encourage students to talk about something they are interested in. That way, it is easier for them to get inspiration. As for the blog itself, it is easy for teachers to follow the writing process at all times, print the information, point out what is to be improved or what is already good. Furthermore, they can give feedback right away and students have access to it very easily.

From a personal point of view, I know that some students have a hard time explaining situations in face to face interaction. Online opportunities will help these students to express themselves while improving their writing skills.

aniaLL

Post by aniaLL » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:15 pm

Creating and writing blogs by ESL students can be a very useful tool in a language acqusition. Especially they work very well with literture circles. The ESL Literature Circle includes the selection and discussion of reading material and is designed to increase students’ English language skills through reading, listening and writing activities. Students also write and post summaries of their reading on a Weblog, which includes online discussions. Students read what their classmates write, they respond to each other and correct theirs and someone else's mistakes. Moreover, this also develops students' social skills. Overall, it is a wonderful teaching-learning tool that everyone (teacher, student) should try.

fnanjum

good point

Post by fnanjum » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:45 pm

I think an other way to encourage the students is to give certificates. You can give certificates for any activity or any achievement. Make certificates are also easy. You can design some by using certificate of appreciation template. These are available free. just fill it and give it that's it.

ankitjainin

Post by ankitjainin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:52 am

Writing is a good point of concern for every student from school time, and blog is such a beautiful example, where student share whole day school activity.
Benefits - Many Benefits
Improve English, thus improve the learning ability.
Communication is possible with outside the world.

... So Think Educate and Share the Beautiful Day Today life concepts with Blog. :)

bennyrent

Post by bennyrent » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:01 am

It is difficult to motivate students with writing assignments. Blogs offer students an opportunity to publish work which could help build motivation and confidence in writing. Teachers could offer blogging as an option; for example, tell students that they are required to write 100 words every day and they can choose to do it by using a blog or by pen and paper (chances are, most of the students will gravitate towards blogging instead of hand writing). Teachers should require students to review and post comments on other student blogs as well. Because students know that their work will be published and then viewed and commented on by their peers, they might be more motivated to write more conscientiously and thoroughly. In addition to increasing student writing in the classroom, using blogs in an ESL classroom teaches them 21st century WEB 2.0 skills as well the importance of digital citizenship--a skill which many younger or elementary learners may not have yet acquired.

However, as others have mentioned, using Blogs in class can significantly add to a teacher`s work load, so it is important to make the blogs meaningful and authentic for students. :wink: