Textbooks/workbooks for teaching students 1 to 1

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lfp78

Textbooks/workbooks for teaching students 1 to 1

Post by lfp78 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:08 am

I will soon be moving to Istanbul and (hopefully) earning my keep by teaching English privately while doing a part-time CELTA.

As I'm new to this, I feel I'll need to structure my lessons around a textbook, but all the ones I've found so far are aimed at classroom lessons.

Are there any out there that are designed for teaching adults 1 to 1?

Failing that, which series would the experienced teachers here recommend for use with individual learners? Face2Face? OUP? Any others?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and advice...

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu May 14, 2009 1:02 pm

I think there are several teachers who contribute to this forum from Turkey and they can probably tell you what textbooks they tend to use. Or you could go to the Education website of the largest towns and see what they recommend. Bringing books in your luggage is expensive so you can probably buy something there and cheaper than at home. I bet your school will have copies as well.

You can also go to the first TESL/TEFL conference you hear about and wait until the last day when the publishers get rid of their textbooks cheaply or sometimes give the old ones away.

Just skip over things that are not appropriate or try to adapt them for you and the student to do together.

If you want to bring a book, I suggest something challenging in the Applied Linguistic field for you to read would be better pound for pound/kilo for kilo. Look at the thread on Brian's book-filled trousers for ideas.