ESL Demo Class in China!

<b> Forum for Academic Directors and Academic Coordinators </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mdan1984

ESL Demo Class in China!

Post by mdan1984 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Hi There ,

I am going for a few interviews and they have asked me to teach a demo class for them. They want a 10 minuet demo class. I wanted to get advice about what should be included in a demo class and some examples for adult and children classes.

Regards
Mikey :D

Patrice

Some suggestions for doing demostration

Post by Patrice » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:42 am

When you’re doing the demonstration, don’t forget to involve warm-up, activities and wrap-up. I believe the school you’re going to do the demonstration will offer you the teaching materials or a target grammar. You could design some related activities based on the material they give you.

Besides, some tips you should always keep in mind. First of all, clear pronunciation is the basic requirement for an language teacher. Thus, try to speak as clear and loud as possible. Second, don’t forget to interact with your students. Although there might not be any student there when you’re doing demonstration, I suggest that you should still pretend you have students. You can raise some questions and say some encouraging phrases, such as “great”, “wonderful”, “excellent.” Last but not least, always keep smile! A friendly teacher will help your learners feel more comfortable.

silencedobetter

Re: ESL Demo Class in China!

Post by silencedobetter » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:57 am

mdan1984 wrote:Hi There ,

I am going for a few interviews and they have asked me to teach a demo class for them. They want a 10 minuet demo class. I wanted to get advice about what should be included in a demo class and some examples for adult and children classes.

Regards
Mikey :D
10 minutes is usually short for a demo-class. You should capture the students attention in a minute or two. Don't assume that the students are going to participate because that would vary on different classes, but it's great if you are able to get them to be active. I always use story- telling.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:21 pm

I found they are always impressed if you include a short but effective grammar lesson. Use as many visual aids as possible. I use the chalk board if available but carry a special pen that writes on windows.