Yikes! Need some TOEFL writing/speaking advice please ;)

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ajdamiano

Yikes! Need some TOEFL writing/speaking advice please ;)

Post by ajdamiano » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:32 am

Hello all,

I am about to enter my second semester as an TOEFL Speaking and Writing instructor at the private language academy i work for in South Korea. The first semester was somewhat of a testrun for me and i found that I was veering away from the textbooks as they were very dry and not at all engaging my students. In most every class i tried to create my own activities with some luck but as this is my first attempt at teaching, some lessons fell flat. I was just told that the upcoming fall semester will have no textbooks and that all materials will need to be generated by the teachers with frequent practice tests being administered along the way. The age group I have is about 15-16 years old and they speak fairly well but my biggest challenge is keeping them engagued throughout. I am just looking for some advice (lessons, activities, games, assessments, topics...etc.) from anyone who has had success in either of these two classes and what words of wisdom you could bestow to help make my fall semester (and the students) a fun and educational experience. Thanks in advance!!!

dkakalov

TOEFL Practice Materials

Post by dkakalov » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:17 am

Hi there,

I administrate a nice site for TOEFL iBT Preparation that currently contains some TOEFL Strategic Tips that may be used. There is also the TOEFL Learning Center which is still under development and we intend to upload learning materials there on regular basis. So check it regularly! You may also use the Free TOEFL iBT Sample Test or Full TOEFL Tests which are paid though.

I wish you success with your students!

ajdamiano

Post by ajdamiano » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:41 pm

thats awesome! Thanks so much. I will definitely utilize this resource as it looks like it will encompass everything i could need. Do you happen to know where I could find a solid list of example parameters for the toefl speaking sections that I could use to layout some guidlines for the students right from the "get-go". i have some ideas but i'd be interested in some input from the pros.

Thanks again!!