ideas for teaching "-ty" and "teen"

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ghostdog

ideas for teaching "-ty" and "teen"

Post by ghostdog » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:38 pm

Does anyone have any good ideas for teaching "-ty" and "-teen" (thirteen vs. thirty, etc.)? Ideas that don't depend on passing out bits of paper especially welcome. Thanks for any input.

revel

What I do....

Post by revel » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:16 pm

Hey ghostdog!

Here's what I do.

I make a three column number exercise on the board:
2 12 20
3 13 30
4 14 40 etc...

I emphasize that in the second column they must not only put the accent on the "teen" but must also close that sylable with a nice long "n", something like "thir teennnnnnnnnn" In the third column they must place the accent on the first sylable and extend the "ee" at the end, "thir teeeeeeee". First do each column from top to bottom. Then each line, still exaggerating the mentioned sound diferences, then perhaps at random a bit.

Finally, I assign my students this exercise as homework, insisting that they repeat the entire chart vertically and horizontally at least once, best thrice each day until the next class. Then they must produce the exercise in class to my satisfaction.

This is always accompanied by an anecdote about nearly missing the train from Paris to Madrid because the French ticket salesperson pronounced "15" in a way that led me to believe that I had nearly an hour to have a coffee before catching the train. Thank goodness I counterchecked the departure time before sitting down to that coffee, there's a world of difference between running to catch the train that leaves in 15 minutes and spending the night in Paris because you have missed the only train to Madrid!

Maybe you can adapt this exercise to your needs. If it is useful, do let me know!

peace,
revel.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:50 pm

For the American English that I use and teach, there is an addiitonal difference, since we don't pronounce the "t" for the -ty. It's more of a tap/flap or whatever you prefer to call it, and sounds more like a "d".

I'm not sure what you have against bits of paper, but a variety of bingo could work.

Also, sentences in which they have to listen to whether you say thirty/thirteen. I imagine you could write a conversation following Revel's story. (Person at airline answering questions about when the train is going to leave.) It could have two parts. One in which the person says 13, 14, 15, 16...and the person listening goes to the gate, and one in which the person says 30 , 40, 50...and the person goes for a cup of coffee. It could be done in pairs, and if the first student fills in the number he/she chooses, the second would have to respond with the correct line (let's go to the gate, or let's get some coffee).

Well I hope that made sense. I just thought of it. :roll:

revel

Or a board game....

Post by revel » Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:18 am

Hey there!

Lorikeet has a made nice suggestion with dramatizing the train station experience. The truth is, I didn't just stroll to the gate, I had to run and caught the train in the best of movie-reality situations, it was on its way out of the station! But then, my entire first visit to Europe was full of emotional experiences such as this one.

Perhaps this could be taken another step with a board game, several different paths, and you take one or another depending on if you have heard "15" or "50". This activity, as well as that which lorikeet mentioned are interesting on a listening level as long as the speaker says the number clearly and correctly. Thus, before embarking on such an activity, I would still have them do the oral exercise several times, giving them time to assimilate the "correct" or "near correct" pronunciation so that the students are sure of what they are saying when playing one or another of the games.

I have to admit, that though I have used this exercise for years, as well as the anecdote, I have never thought of taking it to practice as mentioned by lorikeet and as further thought out by myself....I'm a controlled practice type of teacher, but these months I have a speaking/listening class to run and will be putting this idea to use promptly. Thanks for the idea, lorikeet!

peace,
revel.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:27 pm

Ooh, it was a spur-of-the-moment thought. Let me know if it works. Maybe I'll try it myself. :twisted: