Advice needed teaching kids

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

dontcallme

Advice needed teaching kids

Post by dontcallme » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:13 pm

I've been asked to teach three children aged 8, 5 and 4. I've only taught adults before but the mother is adamant she's happy with me teaching her kids.

The oldest speaks English quite well. Her mother wants me to teach her basic science and grammar. The youngest two just need half hour lessons teaching simple words.

Any advice or links are desperately needed and appreciated.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:58 am

Location? And do you really need the money? (The word 'adamant' makes it sound like you've been pushed into doing something you'd ideally rather not! Is this woman your boss?!). But as long as the two younger kids are taught (or "taught") separately from the older 8-year old, it shouldn't be too fraught. Sorry that I can't provide you with links, as I tend to develop my own stuff when need be (or can usually find the sort of stuff I might be interested in or could use, with a little creative/determined searching).

dontcallme

Post by dontcallme » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:37 am

I partly need the money but it's mostly to do with the fact that I take pride in what I do and I'm not convinced I'm the right person to teach children. As the mother is happy for me to teach her children I will do my best.

I've found some links for the youngest two children. I need links or websites for teaching an 8 year old girl science and English history.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:21 pm

Well, the next question is, did you major in science or history, or better yet, do you have a state teaching credential and experience in teaching at least one of those areas? How familiar are you with national curriculums? etc etc etc. My advice if (when) you know little about such matters is simply to not teach them, or "doesn't it matter" in this context (i.e. if the girl isn't going to go for exams or tests that she will pass or fail depending on the quality of what you yourself can offer). It's just you sound so ambivalent about it - 'I take pride in what I do and (but?) I'm not convinced I'm the right person to teach children'. You've not convinced me either, and I'm certainly not out to convine you that this is a job you should feel compelled to do. :wink: 8) The best thing this mother could do if she wants her child to be educated in English is enrol her in an international school. If she hasn't got the money to do so, well, then she hasn't got the money to do so, has she, and you certainly won't be getting what would otherwise be top dollar for pulling your hair out (and even potentially doing a better job than some so-called qualified teachers might); basically, you are being asked because you're "cheap" (comparatively speaking), but I doubt if the customer's expectations will be any lower than (i.e. just as high as) those who've enrolled their cherubs in the best schools around! (Me, I'd prefer to hold on to my pound of flesh!).

dontcallme

Post by dontcallme » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:34 am

After a lot of discussion with more experienced teachers I've realised that I can't teach this lesson. I was a bit surprised she offered me the work when I explained that I'm not a primary school teacher. She's actually offering a decent wage as well even if it is only for a few hours each week.

Fortunately I have found two available primary school teachers so they can teach the science and English history as well as the English as a foreign language.

Thanks for the advice Fluffy.

shelleyvernon

Post by shelleyvernon » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi there,

If you are taking on the younger ones then I recommend using games, songs, stories, plays and skits.

It's also v. v. important to do a little show for the family each term so that the mum/parents can see what you are doing and see how their children are getting along.

In a show I have the children play some vocabulary games where they can show off what they have learned. I also include a couple of songs in English with actions - (not just "action" songs) and finally a play or skit. The kids REALLY love preparing these.

There is a free one as well as plenty of other ideas for you on my site.
On the plays page you'll find a free skit. (plays)
On the preschool page you'll find a free story and song. (3-5)
And finally on the primary age page (4-12) you'll find games for vocab and grammar.

Enjoy!
Shelley
http://www.teachingenglishgames.com