can technology use improve lang. learning in adult students?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

SSS123

can technology use improve lang. learning in adult students?

Post by SSS123 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Hi,

I am an esl/efl teacher and am presently working on my research paper. I would like to know the various forms/types of technology used today (both old and new) in adult esl/efl classes of all levels i.e. beginner, intermediate and advanced levels? How helpful are these forms/types of technology in order to show any measure of improvement in their english?

What are your ideas/views/suggestions/opinions/experiences on this?

Thanks.

Cgreagori

Using technology in Adult ESL Education

Post by Cgreagori » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi SSS123,

I'm a senior taking several courses in ESL Assessment and teaching multiliteracies. We've talked a lot in these classes about different ways to both assess and teach using technology.

One of the methods is called computer-mediated communication—which was used for teacher-student exchange, long-distance e-mail partnerships, and synchronous classroom discussion. It appeared to benefit students in several ways. First, students achieved more written fluency through the greater practice of computer-based writing; this was especially important for the students who were writing in a second language of who were unfamiliar with keyboarding. Students also benefited from focusing on linguistic structures that written communication provided. This form of communication provided students important additional opportunities for expression and reflection. It provided a chance for students to use their L1 for real communication rather than for classroom tasks. Students are also able to reflect collectively on the nature of particular writings and of academic discourse.

If you'd like to look at the article where this excerpt is from it's Electronic literacies: language, culture, and power in online education. Mark Warchauer. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Publishers. 1999

Christa G.

alawton

Technology

Post by alawton » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:51 am

I find that technology helps me the most when I am teaching a class of mixed level students. I can work with the advances students while I have the beginners working on the computers and vice versa. Other than that I have yet to find technology that lines up well with what I'm doing on a consistant basis.

Andrew Lawton
http://drewseslfluencylesson.com