Why I don't like most textbooks

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Karenne

Why I don't like most textbooks

Post by Karenne » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:59 pm

I don't like most textbooks I come across? I can use bits of one and bits of the other. But sometimes I completely dislike them...

1. Too much information on the page
2. Lack of cultural sensitivity
3. Replicas of each other

Here's the series I've started on my blog - let me know what you think (there or here).

http://kalinago.blogspot.com/search/lab ... -textbooks

Karenne

bethany27

seems like an awesome book

Post by bethany27 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:32 pm

I can surely agree with you that there are way too many books that are full of useless information. I really like what I saw of this book by Scott Thornbury. The only thing I'm not sure of is if it would be good for beginners. I think I would know better if I could see the index and probably first chapter. But otherwise, I really like this book. Thanks for the post.

OxfordBlues

Post by OxfordBlues » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Juergen Kurtz has written quite a bit on his blog about the role of the textbook within the ESL classroom:

http://juergenkurtz.wordpress.com/2009/ ... assroom-3/

I for one do not like to use textbooks in class. I think they're designed for the students to use outside of class and really see no reason to stand in front of a group of learners and act as page turner.

The point of a textbook is to create confusion in the students so that they will ask questions. The role of the teacher is to answer those questions.

:D

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:12 pm

How true, Oxford Blues, how true!

Welcome to the forums, by the way! :)

OxfordBlues

Post by OxfordBlues » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Thanks Fluffy!