Reasons why I like a lot of good text books.

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Heath

Reasons why I like a lot of good text books.

Post by Heath » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:53 am

1) They have authentic (or authentic-like) texts that I can draw on to:
  • * help Ss develop reading skills
    * raise awareness of grammar or lexis
    * explicitly draw attention to grammar or lexis
    * use as a springboard into discussion
    * use as a model for written work
2) They have topics and themes so I don't need to come up with my own.

3) They have lots of tasks and activities that I can either use directly, or at least adapt to make more appropriate to the Ss rather than trying to completely develop my own from scratch

4)

5)

6)

7)

Can we think of some more?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:53 pm

I personally don't like textbooks because it is so difficult to adapt them and they have a basic assumption of life that is usually quite different from the student's values.

But if you are stuck with them, they do provide a format from level to level that the students can follow and feel comfortable, knowing how things are laid out.

Similarly, they give the student the sense of progressing from one level to another and provide a name for their level of learning which might be motivating for some students.

There are usually coloured pictures which might be hard to obtain if you don't have access to a coloured printer.

They often summarize difficult grammar points in the back and have a word list that you can use for all sorts of games.

You can have a whole class on the same page if you are having trouble with discipline (however, this can also cause discipline problems because some students will be bored already knowing the information and some frustrated because they it is too difficult).

Some supervisors and parents might think you are a good teacher because they are all on the same page and you are advancing quickly through the textbook.

The students learn to follow instructions - turn to page 13, do exercise A.

There is usually a teacher's manual with loads of ideas that might really be interesting to the students.

They tend to follow exam formats in the type of exercises they do so you are training them to take the test.

If they move to another school or country who uses the same textbook, they are more prepared to fit in.

It provides an easy way for the Education Board to spend money on a program and is supposed to last several years.

Gives the illusion of being able to divide language into little packages that can be learned in one lesson so is not so overwhelming for most students.
I guess I better stop - I am getting cynical.

T

dave-b

Post by dave-b » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:27 pm

I like a good textbook because I hate a bad photocopier!