Suggested reading for Academic Level

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Conzie The Magnificent

Suggested reading for Academic Level

Post by Conzie The Magnificent » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:00 am

Hello everyone

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a broad ranging book of original material that I can use as extra material for a mixed level academic English class? The class itself is geared towards improving/developing/strengthening their critical reading ability. I want to use a diverse range of readings: essays, short stories, fiction, poetry. That way I can give them as broad an introduction as possible.

Most of the students are humanities students and I am quite sure that their reading skills are quite strong even though their speaking is less strong. Regardless, I want to challenge them but at the same time I don't want to alienate any students who may be weaker or less confident/lazy.

I thought of using one of the Best American Essays compilations but that doesn't leave much room for other material. I'd prefer to use a book with lots of different material to save time for class content development etc.

All your help greatly appreciated :)

C