Ideas Needed for Long Term Company Business English Classes!

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jesl

Ideas Needed for Long Term Company Business English Classes!

Post by jesl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:17 am

Soon I will begin teaching at a fairly large company. I will have 5-10 one on one students who are all at the upper management level and I will have several small group classes which will be middle management and normal employees.

Their goals are to improve their manager's English ability, it includes some business English, but business English incorporates many different things. Each week I will be at the company for 16-26 hours with an arranged schedule for each student. This is a long term assignment of at least one year up to about five years depending on how things go, so I would like to hold on to this if possible.

I need some ideas on how to keep these classes going and actually have enough things to do in each class without overlapping for each person, as each one will require different things. I also do not wan to be warn out and tired everyday/week as it will be consistent one after another after another several times a week.

Thanks in advance.

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:19 am

That's a huge question! I'd recommend taking a course of teaching business English, e.g. the ones run by Trinity or LCCI, and if not at least reading books on the topic.

jesl

Post by jesl » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:21 am

Well it's not possible to do that as the classes are starting in May. I am not sure it is as complicated as you think or that I may have made it sound.

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:58 pm

Or maybe you are underestimating the difficulty. I've done the courses and reading I suggested, and a proper ESP needs analysis and course design approach was totally new to me even four years after doing the CELTA.

The only other solution would seem to be to choose textbooks and use different ones for different classes

esltrainer

Teaching Senior Management 1:1

Post by esltrainer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Teaching Business English to Senior Management 1:1 is my specialty. I've developed techniques based on the premise that 'The Student is the Syllabus'
and have refined them over the years. You can use a textbook if you'd like -
I recommend checking out Oxford University Press & Longman's, to my mind, the publishers of the best ESL textbooks. The question is how you use the material.

My E-guide 'How to Become a Personal ESL Trainer' covers all the techniques approaches and practical details involved. I suggest you have a look at my
site: www.esltrainers.com

Good Luck![/u]