How do I get feedback on Language?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Manny3

How do I get feedback on Language?

Post by Manny3 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:18 pm

I'm playing a Snap game with my students about forming words using prefixes/opposites as part of my lesson on adjectives of personality and their opposites. ( ex. unhappy - happy, organized - disorganized, helpful - unhelpful)

My challenge is reporting feedback on language rather than task (ie. counting your cards and see who has the most" is feedback on task)

In other words getting feedback on language use. Any ideas would help alot.

Thanks!

Manny

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 am

Feedback can be (and usually needs to be) provided in pretty swift, clear and straightforward ways. For example, you could simply write columns headed dis-, un-, etc on the blackboard and then get the students to go back through the cards they've played and quickly tell you what they believe the [prefix >] whole new negative/negated word is for each card/item; leave a slight pause though for other groups to possibly object and/or provide the (correct) answer before finally confirming or correcting things yourself by writing the required word under the appropriate column.

By the way, have you considered telling students (after whatever activity though!) that for productive purposes and "at the end of the day", they can get always away with using something like not (very) _____ rather than struggling to remember the precise "required" negative-adjective form.

Oh, and I myself would probably talk of 'providing' or 'giving' feedback than 'getting' or 'reporting' it. :wink: :)