Fun Adult Homework for a Beginner

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

STCrowley

Fun Adult Homework for a Beginner

Post by STCrowley » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:51 am

Hello, all!

A colleage of mine and I are organizing an 'intensive week' for an adult student. The student would be considered, I think, pre-intermediate and we found a book for her that I think fits well. She--the student--has taken a week and a half vacation and wants to really work on her English in this time.

I've taught intense courses at Berlitz before and I don't like them, because I think the students' have unrealistic ideas of their own 'endurance.' I told the student this, and the comprimise we worked out would be four hours of 'lessons,' daily, and a lot of work for her to do in her own time.

Great, right? I thought it was a pretty good comprimise.

The problem is this: sure, we'll give her homework from the book and in the workbook. But, I want to find some things for her to do where she engages with English and uses what she's learning without it all being 'boring work.'

I've thought of the ideas of translating favorite songs, of Misterduncan's videos on YouTube. . . but I want to go into this with more ideas than I need.

So, this was a ramble and I'm sure a lot of this information isn't super important. . . but, what do you guys think?
-Toby

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:41 am

How about some research on the differences between German and English. There are a lot of papers under Google scholar. She can present a summary to you.

I always enjoyed reading something in the language that I was interested in that I had already read in English. Can she find a book in English that she has read in German. Comic books are fun too.

Can she find some fun things to do on Dave's ESL Cafe? There are people to talk to and games to play and ideas to follow under the student section.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:02 am

There are lots of exercises and websites online written for ESL students. Maybe you can find some of those and give her some links. I have some listed on my website http://fog.ccsf.edu/~lfried under "Links" on the left side of the page.

STCrowley

Post by STCrowley » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:33 am

I like the idea of a comic book. I have some 'Tin Tin' comics in English I can offer to lend her if she wants to practice. I don't think her English is at a level where she can enjoy the kind of book she'd read in German.

We have a lot of activities planned for her, I'm looking for things she can do to use and expand the English she's learning, but without seeming like 'work.' (There are only so many worksheets you can do in a day.)

I just realized there's a lot of Sesame Street on YouTube, so I think I'll be asking her to watch a few and summarize her favorite in writing. (I think I'd enjoy that in German. . . and who doesn't like Sesame Street?)

I'm game to hear some more, though!