Need Out-Loud Reading Material for Pronunciation

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Brix

Need Out-Loud Reading Material for Pronunciation

Post by Brix » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:14 am

I need reading material to be read out loud by corporate adults.

I have good material but I've used it all up with this class.

I'm looking for short, simple, but pithy passages, with a focus on certain sounds such as long [eee] sounds and final [-s] and final [-z].

I've scoured google, but the material isn't good.

Anyone have any links?

Thanks in advance. Brix.

Sheila Collins

Post by Sheila Collins » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 pm

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:16 pm

Please don't read out loud with Business adults! Is that really a skill they need??

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:27 pm

Yes, they have to read specks to their clients, have to quote stocks, have to read back what is not clear in a letter, a press release, the topics of a presentation, the headlines of a newspaper, an so on. Ask your students the kinds of things they have to do and have them bring in examples. I don't think I would read anything that wasn't involved in business someway though.

alexcase

Post by alexcase » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:30 pm

Good point, but there's a big difference reading out single lines or sentences and reading out whole passages. A few truly Advanced textbooks deal with the latter, and you need to know where to put in pauses etc. It's a skill most native speakers don't have. The former is exactly the same skill of stressing the content words, weak unstressed forms etc as conversational phrases, so it seems to make much more sense practising that with functional phrases they will need to remember rather than newspaper headlines that will have changed by tomorrow.