Non native speaker job opportunities

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Bart1982

Non native speaker job opportunities

Post by Bart1982 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 am

Hello, i was wondering the kind of options i have as a non native speaker from Holland like myself? I want to travel Asia for about a year in September and start working after that.

I have a bachelor in education (history) and 2 (3 next year) years of experience teaching history, Dutch and English in a Dutch secondary school. I'm going to start a course to get the Certificate in Advanced English in a few weeks.

I know i'm probably able to get a job in China or Thailand (considering that I am 28, caucasian and blond;)) but will I be able to apply for a job teaching in countries such as Korea or Japan, considering my degrees and experience in teaching, even though I am not a native speaker?

Thank you

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 pm

I (I'm a Brit by the way) used to work with a Dutch colleague (who had great English!) in Shanghai (teaching Business English), so it is (or at least was) possible for non-natives to find some kind of ELT work in China.

Thailand I wouldn't know, but they seem to have been making it more difficult for native speakers to get work permits there, so who knows how byzantine it might have become for any non-natives!

Anyway, your best bet would be to join the Job Discussion/International forums part of Dave's (separate, vetted registration is required) and enquire there. :wink:

Edit: I somehow missed the fact that you have a B.Ed. Glad to see then that you've now joined the JD/International forums and that people there have pointed out the possibility of your working in international schools as a qualified teacher, rather than in private language schools (eikaiwa etc) for usually a lot less money and perks!
Last edited by fluffyhamster on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bart1982

Post by Bart1982 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Thanks for your reply. Will do that :)

JamesAtRealize

Post by JamesAtRealize » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:17 pm

I wouldn't hire a non-native speaker. I think I'd lose my entire customer/student base if I did.
I know he/she could do the job very well if properly trained but the students expect native speakers =/