Class Ideas

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

alawton

Class Ideas

Post by alawton » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Does anyone have any experience teaching English for construction workers? I was approached to teach for a local company's non English speaking employees. The manager is trying to get some of his long term guys to communicate better in English. Thanks!

Andrew Lawton
http://drewseslfluencylessons.com

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:06 pm

I used a picture dictionary or a tools catelogue in Mongolia for all the names of the parts of the house and the tools. I didn't even know them. I also did a lot of orders - pick that up, put that there, put it over there, bring me this, take him that, watch out, danger, hammer this, saw that, screw this (both meanings) break time, coffee break, lunch time, quitting time although they knew the last three.

You could ask the supervisor to wear a tape recorder for a day or two to find out his specific orders. I would also teach them swear words so they know when they are in trouble although they probably know most of them too.

alawton

response

Post by alawton » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:31 pm

Thanks! I like your idea about having the boss walk around with a tape recorder. Now if he will do it...

WhatTimeFinish?

The Human Condition

Post by WhatTimeFinish? » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Sally Olsen wrote:I also did a lot of orders - pick that up, put that there, put it over there, bring me this, take him that, watch out, danger, hammer this, saw that, screw this (both meanings) break time, coffee break, lunch time, quitting time although they knew the last three.
Hysterical !

JamesAtRealize

Re: The Human Condition

Post by JamesAtRealize » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:54 pm

WhatTimeFinish? wrote:
Sally Olsen wrote:I also did a lot of orders - pick that up, put that there, put it over there, bring me this, take him that, watch out, danger, hammer this, saw that, screw this (both meanings) break time, coffee break, lunch time, quitting time although they knew the last three.
Hysterical !
LOL! that's awesome :D