Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non native speaker job opportunities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bart1982

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Non native speaker job opportunities Reply with quote

Hello, i was wondering the kind of options i have as a non native speaker from Holland like myself? I want to travel Asia for about a year in September and start working after that.

I have a bachelor in education (history) and 2 (3 next year) years of experience teaching history, Dutch and English in a Dutch secondary school. I'm going to start a course to get the Certificate in Advanced English in a few weeks.

I know i'm probably able to get a job in China or Thailand (considering that I am 28, caucasian and blond;)) but will I be able to apply for a job teaching in countries such as Korea or Japan, considering my degrees and experience in teaching, even though I am not a native speaker?

Thank you
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (I'm a Brit by the way) used to work with a Dutch colleague (who had great English!) in Shanghai (teaching Business English), so it is (or at least was) possible for non-natives to find some kind of ELT work in China.

Thailand I wouldn't know, but they seem to have been making it more difficult for native speakers to get work permits there, so who knows how byzantine it might have become for any non-natives!

Anyway, your best bet would be to join the Job Discussion/International forums part of Dave's (separate, vetted registration is required) and enquire there. Wink

Edit: I somehow missed the fact that you have a B.Ed. Glad to see then that you've now joined the JD/International forums and that people there have pointed out the possibility of your working in international schools as a qualified teacher, rather than in private language schools (eikaiwa etc) for usually a lot less money and perks!

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bart1982

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. Will do that Smile
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't hire a non-native speaker. I think I'd lose my entire customer/student base if I did.
I know he/she could do the job very well if properly trained but the students expect native speakers =/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: