Bilingual Physical Education Activities???

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

espersen

Bilingual Physical Education Activities???

Post by espersen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 am

I am a Language Assistant in Spain and tomorrow I have to teach a PE class!

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas for activities involving English and PE?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:58 am

Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes.
Follow the Leader -Parade where you walk around in a line in different style; hop, skip, march, go sideways, goose step, backwards, etc. saying the word as you do it.
Four Directions. When you call "West" they go to the west wall, "East" to the east wall and so on.
Alphabet. They can make letters with three or four little bodies. Make an "A".
Then you can play all the games you did as a child, "Duck, Duck, Goose." You form a circle and one or two players go around the circle tapping the children and you lightly on the head saying, "Duck". When they say "Goose" that person has to jump up and chase them clockwise around the circle until one of them is able to get back to the space left by the goose and sit down. If the goose tags the duck, then the duck is still it.
Tag. Freeze tag. Musical freeze tag.
Hopscotch. You can make the outline of the hopscotch with painter's tape so it won't mark the floors.
Basketball, volleyball, soccer. They can learn the cheers and directions in English.
All the things done on mats - forward roll, summersault, backward roll, sideways roll, handstand, cartwheel.
Exercises.
Ring Around the Rosy.
Musical hoops - like musical chairs but with hoops or mats. How many children can you get in a hoop or on a mat.

There are lots of sites like this one with ideas.
http://www.brighthub.com/education/earl ... 38384.aspx

Then there are all the Co-operative Games.
http://www.mrgym.com/CooperativeGames.htm

espersen

Post by espersen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:47 am

Thanks for the ideas!

However my kids are 12 years old and want to be "adults." I guess I need to tailor these for an older crowd.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 pm

You posted in Preschool Education which is for kids under 6. You should post in Elementary Education. The idea is the same though and I have kids 12 years old do the alphabet game making words and certainly doing all the sports. They also loved Four Directions with added directions that the gym was an ocean and calling things like "Submarine" where they lie on the floor with a leg up for a periscope, "Fishing Net" to make a net together, "Island" all huddle together, "Octopus" needs four people with waving arms, " Sea Serpent" and "Eels". We did lots of team games and races. First one was always "Stop" and "Go" so I could control them if things got out of hand.