Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A decent textbook for adult esl students?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenpaint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: A decent textbook for adult esl students? Reply with quote

I've been using my own materials for this class for a number of months now and I'm finding it a bit of a struggle to find or write materials every week. Also teaching 35 hours a week is kinda catching up with me, so I want to find a textbook that might be suitable (as in comprehensive enough that covers writing and spoken Enlish, as well as grammar etc.), I've been recommended some by Chinese students, but I don't know how much I trust them, since I can't find a copy in print (either being sold out, or just not available) of any of them.

Please and thank you. Any recommendations?

Edit: The class is very mixed level ranging from upper beginner to high intermediate, and I'm teaching in China.
Mariam0510

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Try Compelling Conversations Reply with quote

Hi, I am a former ESL student originally from the Republic of Georgia. I would recommend you try Compelling Conversations, It's a textbook designed to help students carry out meaningful classroom conversations.

"The Art of Teaching Speaking" and "Insights on Teaching Speaking in TESOL" are also great books with a broader context.

I hope these books come in handy.

Good luck!
Mariam
Danielprice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: A decent textbook for adult esl students Reply with quote

Hai... Smile
For elder ESL students, I often recommend Earnest Hemingway. His book “The Old Man and The Sea” is a good textbook for adult ESL students. The students can visit here http://essayacademia.com/ for their academic needs.
Rp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to derail this thread, but if you find one let me know. From my experience the texts for adult use are dreadful. "Old man and the sea" is about a useful as any book that is out there.
JamesAtRealize

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For discussion/conversation, no grammar, I like Impact Issues
danielwelsch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Good book Reply with quote

I always use Elementary Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy. If they're a higher level, English Grammar in Use. They're great as self-study books. Assign them activities at home, and correct them in class. Great stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: