A decent textbook for adult esl students?

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

greenpaint

A decent textbook for adult esl students?

Post by greenpaint » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:38 am

I've been using my own materials for this class for a number of months now and I'm finding it a bit of a struggle to find or write materials every week. Also teaching 35 hours a week is kinda catching up with me, so I want to find a textbook that might be suitable (as in comprehensive enough that covers writing and spoken Enlish, as well as grammar etc.), I've been recommended some by Chinese students, but I don't know how much I trust them, since I can't find a copy in print (either being sold out, or just not available) of any of them.

Please and thank you. Any recommendations?

Edit: The class is very mixed level ranging from upper beginner to high intermediate, and I'm teaching in China.

Mariam0510

Try Compelling Conversations

Post by Mariam0510 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi, I am a former ESL student originally from the Republic of Georgia. I would recommend you try Compelling Conversations, It's a textbook designed to help students carry out meaningful classroom conversations.

"The Art of Teaching Speaking" and "Insights on Teaching Speaking in TESOL" are also great books with a broader context.

I hope these books come in handy.

Good luck!
Mariam

Danielprice

A decent textbook for adult esl students

Post by Danielprice » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:43 am

Hai... :)
For elder ESL students, I often recommend Earnest Hemingway. His book “The Old Man and The Sea” is a good textbook for adult ESL students. The students can visit here http://essayacademia.com/ for their academic needs.

Rp

Post by Rp » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:43 pm

Not to derail this thread, but if you find one let me know. From my experience the texts for adult use are dreadful. "Old man and the sea" is about a useful as any book that is out there.

JamesAtRealize

Post by JamesAtRealize » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:15 pm

For discussion/conversation, no grammar, I like Impact Issues

danielwelsch

Good book

Post by danielwelsch » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:41 pm

I always use Elementary Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy. If they're a higher level, English Grammar in Use. They're great as self-study books. Assign them activities at home, and correct them in class. Great stuff.