Practice Tests

<b> Forum for the discussion of assessment and testing of ESL/EFL students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

clydie

Practice Tests

Post by clydie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 am

Can anyone inform me or direct me to a source about the use of practice tests? I am particularly interested when a practice test is given before the final test but contains exactly the same format with a few changes in wording.

Is this OK teaching practice or just loading ths bases, so to speak?
My gut feeling is that it isn't good practice.

Lorikeet

Re: Practice Tests

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:50 pm

clydie wrote:Can anyone inform me or direct me to a source about the use of practice tests? I am particularly interested when a practice test is given before the final test but contains exactly the same format with a few changes in wording.

Is this OK teaching practice or just loading ths bases, so to speak?
My gut feeling is that it isn't good practice.
I think practice tests that use the same format are fine, but if only a few changes in wording, it is bad.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:29 am

I think it is great to use practice tests in a situation where the test is everything. It gives the student a chance to learn the format and the tricks = how to time themselves, how to set up paragraphs that will get them the best marks and so on. We always used last years tests so we didn't have to recreate the wheel and then tried to guess what topics would be on the test this year because they usually followed hot topics like "cell phones" (when that was a hot topic).