teaching mixed class 1- 3 year olds

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sanjajerem

teaching mixed class 1- 3 year olds

Post by sanjajerem » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Hello everybody,

I have the opportunity to teach in a newly opened kindergarten which have one mixed group consisting of one 1year old, 2 two year olds, 3 three year olds (I am serious :))) and two 5-6 yos. My idea is not to mix the 5-6 yos with others - am I right?
But can I work efficiently with others where there is only one tiny one year old and others 2 and three?
Any ideas how to organize the groups and have efficient lesson plans?
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you!

Sanja

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:33 pm

I would just recommend talking and singing for the entire time you are in their presence. Tell them everything they are doing, touching, feeling and everything you are doing, touching, feeling. When tired, sing. You can have back up with tapes and so on, so you don't have to think of the songs all the time but can just sing along.

I hope you have lots of toys and materials to keep them busy. If you can make some Montessori materials they will learn concepts along with the language.

The younger ones will probably watch some while you play and learn with the five and six year olds, so that is a benefit.

If the one year old gets fussy, you could put him in a back pack.

If you think about it, every mother with multiple children does this. But they learn gradually over the years and gain materials over the years. The older ones teach the younger ones and take off some of the pressure. Perhaps your first goal should be to encourage the older ones to look after the younger ones, a bit longer each day, not so they take away your job, but it is good training no matter what.

sanjajerem

Post by sanjajerem » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Thank you Sally!

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:12 pm

I replied to this here, how to teach 1-5 year olds.

musica5

Post by musica5 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:49 pm

If you are looking for songs and finger rhymes etc there are lots on youtube.

Songs such as Ten Little Monkeys and Tommy Thumb keep them entertained and teach the rhythm of the language and rhyming while being fun and involving participation.
http:///www.youtube.com/pamelasunshinetv