Question regarding certification

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

rodris6

Question regarding certification

Post by rodris6 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Hi, I will be graduating this upcoming year from the University of Toronto with a 2-year Masters of Teaching Degree, where I will be certified to teach the primary/junior level. The job market in for teachers here in Canada is horrible and I would love to have the possibility to go abroad to teach. I am considering taking an 250hour TESOL course with ONTESOL, however I am debating if it is worth it or not. It’s an online course with 20 hours of in class practice, and it is recognized by TESL Canada. Would it matter if it is online, considering it does have 20 hour practicum and I have my teacher certificate on top of that?

By the end of this academic year I will have my Bachelor, my Masters of Teaching degree and the TESOL certification, however no actual paid teaching experience, only the experience I acquired through my practicum at school. So the big question is, can I get a good teaching job with my credentials? I am considering Abu Dhabi, however I have read that you required 2 years of experience, is this true? I know it might be a difficult question to answer, but any information will be greatly appreciate it!

p.s I'm new to the forum so if I have posted this question on the wrong section, I apologize !
:)

danielwelsch

Post by danielwelsch » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:27 am

I think you'll definitely be able to get a job with those credentials. Not necessarily a "good" job.

According to what I know, the CELTA certificate from Cambridge is the most widely known and accepted. But if you're spending 250 hours it's certainly a good thing and you'll learn a lot. Of course, most of what you learn is going to be on the job.

Have fun!
Daniel.