Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online ESL textbook/resources

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luke77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Online ESL textbook/resources Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I recently did some volunteer english teaching in south america and I'm thinking about getting my certification and teaching professionally overseas. For now, though, I'm back in the USA for a few months. I told a friend in colombia that I'd teach her enlish using skype, messenger and email and I figure this would be a decent way to get some more experience. I don't have a problem coming up with activities and stuff, and with one-on-one lessons I'm sure a lot of the time will just be spent in conversation. What I'd really like to have, though, is some kind of sequential online textbook that we could both look at that would provide some structure - ie the first day we talk about greetings and salutations, the next day regular present tense verbs, etc... She has her own book there but I can't see it so obviously can't plan anything around it. Can anyone suggest something along these lines?

Thanks.
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luke! I have a feeling that you'll ultimately have to pay (i.e. get an actual printed textbook) for detailed or really usable content, but you can get a fair idea of at least the "syllabuses" of certain textbooks from searching ELT publisher websites - for example, this from/for the Interchange series:
http://www.cambridge.org/elt/catalogue/subject/project/custom/item2420836/Interchange-Scope-and-Sequence

You might also like to try searching for the posts by Lorikeet (our Mod) which link to an ESL syllabus she or others followed in teaching ESL in the US.

You may perhaps need to look up a few of the grammar terms (if so, try http://folk.uio.no/hhasselg/terms.html ) and obviously do some thinking to convert such relatively sparse contents pages and/or syllabuses into more relatable (teachable-learnable) contexts, however!

Then, there are a number of ELT textbook titles/ranges that seem to be becoming previewable, at least in part, on Google Books.
Sally Olsen

Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be more fun to get a split screen and both have a news format on one of them, like BBC? The tests are usually based on English English if your friend is going to take one, so the BBC is good for vocabulary. Chose a story that you are both interested in and then take it apart, first for vocabulary and then for structure and explain anything the student doesn't understand or look it up and teach her how to do that. Then write a similar story together to understand the overall structure and how items of that genre are composed.
alawton

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: ESL class Reply with quote

Hello,

When I have taught online ESL to individuals I used http://manythings.org. This site covers all major grammatical areas and there are activities. Good luck!

Andrew Lawton
http://drewseslfluencylessons.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Adult Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: