Conversational Practice (need help/pointers for one on one)

<b>Forum for teachers teaching adult education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Beautifuleyes

Conversational Practice (need help/pointers for one on one)

Post by Beautifuleyes » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:35 pm

I recently decided to have conversational practice (one on one) from my home. So far I have two students that are both very busy professionals.

Short term student:

I have been working with him for about a week. His English is very good (grammar/pronunciation/vocabulary, etc.). He just wants to practice because he'll go to the US/Europe in March for the first time. He's a bit nervous about interacting with native speakers on a daily bases.

Long term student:

He's been to the US and other English speaking countries before but it has been awhile since he was able to speak English. He is a bit rusty with speaking (good pronunciation but bad grammar). He thinks he may need about 5-6 months of practicing (I am thinking/hoping less time). His goal is to be able to do full lectures in English.

I have done conversation classes in the past but it was always in an English course and with a mixed group of students.

How do I go about making one on one fun and interesting?

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:39 pm

I just went through the Adult Eduction thread from back to front and found this discussion.
http://forums.eslcafe.com/teacher/viewt ... nversation