Does anyone have an answer?

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lmojica

Does anyone have an answer?

Post by lmojica » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:32 am

I am reading Forbidden Language Edited by. Patricia Gandare and Megan Hopkins. In the first two chapters, they expressed unfair laws to ESL student. I am not clear how this been going on for year and no one has an answer to this controversial topic. . . What can we do to help change these unfair laws? Where will we start?

smontaez

Unfair Laws

Post by smontaez » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:00 am

Unfortunately the pendulum has been swinging back and forth for more than 40 years in regard to ESL, BE and EO. It would seem every state and local district is interpreting the law as they see fit. Many times laws have language that could prove beneficial but because no one is questioning the system, politicians and our government is getting with not enforcing many provision within the law. As citizens we can get more involved and advocate for the LEP population. Politics is what determines whether programs get funded and implemented. We can start by reaching out to our local politicians, voting whenever there is an election, and I’m not just talking about presidential elections. The local government elections are just as important because they affect your town directly.