How do you choose English Camp teaching materials?

<b> Forum for teachers and administrators of IEP programs </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

SallyB

How do you choose English Camp teaching materials?

Post by SallyB » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:52 pm

I am currently undertaking a thesis in English camp curricula with a focus on South Korea.

If you have had experience in choosing or creating any material that is taught on an English camp I'd be very grateful if you could complete my questionnaire.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/732X2SY

Feel free to contact me for more information. Or if you have any comments

Thanks for your help

Sally

cathjean

Post by cathjean » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:33 pm

Hello, I've worked in an english camp last summer. The material that we used was basically games. It's as simple as that. Little games some anglophones parents play with their children do the work quite well. For young children it's really important to have a guide line. What I mean is that you need to have a story or a game that you can play and modify during the summer.
At my summer camp, we had a character that everyweek was in a different world and that the kids had to do some activities to help this character go through the worlds.
If you ever need any other help you can reply ! :)
You can also contact the Camp Keno for information

rebra

Post by rebra » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:56 pm

Hi, I also worked in an English camp this past summer, so I might be able to give you some tips. I don’t know what age group you are going to be monitoring, but our kids were from 5 to 13 years old (not in one same group of course). We also taught English through games. Children like it when they don’t feel they are actually learning something, especially at summer camp. Each week we had content to cover, it was really the basics (numbers, colours etc.). So whatever the content, we just picked a game that we liked, and changed some rules to make it fit with the content.

YellowMoon

Post by YellowMoon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:02 pm

I wonder whether creativity plays a big part. My experience is entirely with adults and I'm afraid a rigid framework wouldn't work with children. I don't consider myself as a creative person but nevertheless I would like to try next summer...

YellowMoon

Post by YellowMoon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:03 pm

I wonder whether creativity plays a big part. My experience is entirely with adults and I'm afraid a rigid framework wouldn't work with children. I don't consider myself as a creative person but nevertheless I would like to try next summer...