Multimedia in Class

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cleanwater

Multimedia in Class

Post by cleanwater » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:43 am

It is said that using multimedia in class will be much helpful for the students to remember what the teacher has taught. I used to teach in a junior middle school. Following others' advice, I applied a lot of tools so as to arouse the students' interest and remember more, such as cartoon, picture, movie, etc. While the fact was, although they paid more attention to my lesson, they learned even less! There was little practical training for the students' thinking, only similar to visual feat. I realized that there must be some problem in my class design, but it seemed difficult for me to find out an efficient way of using mutlimedia. Could you give me some suggestions?

Thanks!

aprillove20

Post by aprillove20 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:30 am

Enables teachers to turn teacher-centered lessons into student-centered.
Provides teachers with more opportunities to be facilitator.
Easily adaptable to all learning levels.
Decreases classroom management issues.
Provides opportunities for students to have a 'real' audience.
Places onus of responsibility back on the student.
Allows teachers to deal with photocopying limitations.
Provides a forum for teacher sharing and feedback.

cencarnacion

Multimedia in the Classroom

Post by cencarnacion » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:30 pm

It is a great tool to incorporate to the lessons; the lessons take another dimension with the help of short films, animation and actitivities related to the lessons that the students can do as part of the centers. For visual learners, multimedia helps them to remember more details from the lesson which leads to more participation from these students in the lessons.

eslculture

multimedia in bilingual education

Post by eslculture » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:09 am

Being a keen supporter of multimedia use in class I am trying to find new forms of multimedia varieties that can be used in the ESL teaching process in the context of bilingual education. Students’ reaction to multimedia is mostly favorable, because students of any age are ready to try new experiences, acquire new skills. But teachers must show their creativity and must thoroughly work out the instruction for the multimedia tasks. It should be clear and understandable to everybody in the classroom how this particular activity with the use of new information technologies can favorite their bilingualism. I prefer students to play active role during multimedia lessons. If they watch a movie, they are not merely passive watchers; they take part in characters’ dialogues (some cues of actors are recorded mute for example or with the support of the subtitles, depending on their language level). Multimedia varieties give teachers countless opportunities to make their lessons interesting, attractive, motivating for students and fruitful.

Grosso modo, here are some ideas of multimedia sources and types of activities to improve bilingual education:

1. Material: DVD Movies with multilingual support.
- Quasi communication activity – when the part of text is absent and need to be restored by students, or when students play roles of some characters.
- Simultaneous interpretation activity – students give an oral interpretation of the part of the text with or without the visual support of the subtitles

2. Material: multilingual support of different programs that students use in their everyday life.
- No specific activities – just change the language settings of the programs that they use in their everyday life, in your classroom, on their PCs (MWord, MExcel etc.), cell phones or iPods. Usually, students find this tool very easy to learn. They already know by heart the interface of their favourite programs and it’s very easy for them to learn new terms and words that are exactly in the same spot on the same page that they can find even with their eyes closed. They understand that this small change of the interface can be very useful because of its potential importance for their future jobs, studies abroad etc.

3. Material: Internet sites with or without multilingual support.
- Reading activities and research project can be based on sites with multilingual support or teacher can give the 2 different sites with the similar content but each of them in different language.

4. Distant technologies: e-mail, chat, forum, wiki etc.
- Different types of distant projects performed with students from other countries, cities, schools.

5. Multimedia visual materials, such as virtual tours of popular cities, art galleries, museums
- Quasi immersion into cultural aspect of the language

6. Etc.