Role Playing Game

<b> Forum for discussing activities and games that work well in the classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

stremblay

Role Playing Game

Post by stremblay » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:31 pm

One activity that I did and that worked very well was a role playing game. The game was in a unit about the Mayan civilization that my three colleagues and I designed. In this game, students had to play the roles of both a museum guide and a visitor at the museum. Students A and B both had a museum guide card (Museum guide card A for students A and Museum guide card B for students B) on which there were 10 different questions and which they had to answer using the text about Mayas that had been given to them previously in the unit. They also both had a visitor card (Visitor card A for students A and Visitor card B for students B) on which there were 5 different questions they would eventually ask to their partner. I first had students answer the questions on their respective Museum guide card individually. Then, I had students B ask the questions on their Visitor card B to students A who had to answer these questions using their Museum guide card A. Then I had students switch roles (Students A asked the 5 questions on their Visitor card A and students B answered using their Museum guide card B). It is actually a good way to practice your students' speaking skills and to have them use different strategies to communicate (Ask for help or clarification, repeat, etc..). You can also adapt it to another unit. (As previously mentioned, this unit was on Mayas).

amrif317

Post by amrif317 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:26 pm

One fun activity that I've used with 5th and 6th graders was giving them a situation (surprise birthday party, sleep over, day at the mall, etc.) and asking them to elaborate on it and include themselves in this story/situation. They would create the storyline and include themselves (time, day, place, activities). They were to perform a simple dialogue and act it out in front of the class. EX: Ann: Cyndie will you come to Amy's surprise party? Cyndie: What day and what time? etc. This was a fun activity that the whole class enjoyed and got involved in.

gotravelenglish

Post by gotravelenglish » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:58 am

Role-playing has always helped me when learning another language, therefore I try to do it as much as possible. I've set up an airport role-play often for students who are the go a lot. From entering the the airport parking, to landing and exiting at their arrival location. Main focus is on actually checking in with the airline and going through security. Many of my students are nervous with security, so knowing keywords to expect to hear and how to respond gives them far more confidence!
Go Travel English

AAthas

Post by AAthas » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:50 am

Hi Stremblay,

First, I have to say I love your role-playing activity. I think that not only does it fit well with your topic about Mayan culture, but also I think it would fit well with other subjects and topics. When reading your post, I had a question. I seem to be a little confused about the number of students you used for this activity. Say you have a class of 24, do you split the class up in groups of 4 and have them complete the activity? Or can you do it with a large group of students?