Two Teacher Classroom Model

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

JDRRowan

Two Teacher Classroom Model

Post by JDRRowan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:22 am

Having been a regular education teacher in a two teacher inclusion classroom, I can see the pros and cons of the two teacher model. It can be challenging to have the students view both teachers as equals. I also agree that working with students in groups and pairs is not as powerful as whole group instruction. Any ideas on how to run successful 2 teacher classroom?

wenrodriguez

Post by wenrodriguez » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 am

First of all both teachers must see each other as equals. Teachers should plan lessons and distrubute work equally. At no point should the teachers seem unorganized or at odds with each other. I feel it all beings with careful planning and mutual respect. Expectations must be made clear to the students regarding teacher respect.

Sally Olsen
Location: Canada,France, Brazil, Japan, Mongolia, Greenland, Canada, Mongolia, Ethiopia next

Post by Sally Olsen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:05 am

I can't understand your statement about working with students in pairs and small groups. All the research shows that it is a powerful tool in teaching and learning.

Two teachers are great but how many in the classroom? The numbers make the difference.

I always had volunteers in my classroom as well so there might be as many as six "teachers" in the classroom at one time. As long as someone co-ordinates things, has appropriate materials and has prepared the volunteers or other teachers, it works great.

KRizzo

Post by KRizzo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:46 pm

I think this can be a difficult challenge but can be achieved. I am co-teaching my first college ESL course and I can see where it may have some challenges but constant communication between the teachers and making sure you remain on the same page no matter what your "differences" might be personally (if any). We must always remember we are there for the students.

tcollura

Agree

Post by tcollura » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:50 pm

I definitely agree that the communication between the teachers is the most important aspect involved with this. I would think that if run efficiently the two teacher model has to be better than one teacher because you can give those not understanding the material more individual instruction than if you are by yourself.

JDRRowan

Post by JDRRowan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 pm

I agree that small group instruction and working in pairs plays a vital role in the classroom. When I mentioned group instruction I was referring to having the class view both teachers on an equal level. I was commenting on the case study that was described in Chapter 3, "Two-Teacher Classrooms, Personalized Learning and the Inclusion Paradigm in the United Kingdom". The text states "working with students in groups or pairs is not as powerful as the whole-class plenary. Students, like teachers, are aware of such hierarchies." I was opening up the question to ideas on how to achieve the students viewing both teachers equally. I do use small group instruction and think / pair / shares in my classroom. I was speaking in terms of having both teachers speak to the class as a whole group. I hope this cleared up any confusion. I also think that it is great that you have volunteers, up to six at a time, this is not always available to every district.

Bethany.Blaine

Post by Bethany.Blaine » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm reading about the trouble between ESL teachers and subject teachers and it is apparent that there is no easy solution. From what I've gathered, subject teachers tend to be a bit stubborn towards the ESL teachers (or "facilitators") because they don't want to lose control over the classroom or they simply don't want to help the ELLs that are in their class. I'm definitely not trying to discredit teachers in any way, but this is a touchy subject and no one wants to have their toes stepped on. Having strong communication between the two teachers is a necessity and there is no way the classroom can function without it and no way the ELLs can learn without it! What also can help is some training given to non ESL teachers so they have some kind of background and knowledge (however little it may be) so they can feel comfortable teaching/approaching the ELLs in their classroom when the ESL teacher is not present.

teachnj

Post by teachnj » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:29 am

I agree with you that mainstream teachers need to be trained in ESL methods due to the high influx of foreign born students into our schools. In regards to co-teaching, I believe that teachers cannot be "thrown" into a situation like this without training. Teachers have to be trained on how to work as partners in one classroom so that students can benefit from the knowledge and style that each teacher brings to the classroom. In addition, teachers have to be given time to plan together and devise strategies to implement in the classroom.