Intensive ESL Classrooms' Benefits

<b> Forum for teachers and administrators of IEP programs </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jetar

Intensive ESL Classrooms' Benefits

Post by jetar » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Hi!
I am still a student teacher and have not had the chance to teach an intensive English class during my practicum. I know that there is a specific part in the MELS program regarding competencies for English as a second language enriched program for elementary and for secondary cycle 1 and 2, but what about ESL textbooks approved by the MELS? Are there approved textbooks for intensive English program or do teachers have to devolop their own materials?

I know that these intensive English classes are an opportunity for students to do projects and to explore the language in ways that a regular English class would not allow. It seems like sky is the limit! But I feel a little bit insecure because I lack information. Do you have any personal experience to share or suggestions for me?

Thank you.

nicolasbrunette

Post by nicolasbrunette » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:20 pm

In this case, I guess it would be appropriate for me to mention that I’m not an expert. However, I am convinced that intensive classrooms have their reason to be. For teenagers, motivation is a big issue. A students that assists a class which rhythm is too fast or too slow, will possibly lack motivation. This may be why it would be preferable to split the groups regarding their level of understanding of the English language. Form my part; I think this is the biggest benefit regarding intensive classrooms. Motivation involves participation, let’s all keep that in mind.

eslculture

Re: Intensive ESL Classrooms' Benefits

Post by eslculture » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:03 am

I had such an experience during my first practicum in a primary school. I found it very interesting and quite effective. It gives students the feeling of immersion program when all the subjects they learn are in English. The program is the best way to motivate students and which I found very important – their parents, too. Children have their home task, for example to write a log book of a 15 minutes watching news, talk shows or movies. And guess what, there are watching them with the whole family. They sometimes share their experience of translating some info to the mother who doesn’t speak English, and being corrected by the father who is a native or a fluent English speaker and who is very proud of their successful language acquisition. It’s very motivating. In these classes I’ve never seen such a problem of doing homework or demotivation or questions like “why do we need to study English?” Children have experienced the practical usefulness of English as a communication tool and they don’t want to stop. I understand that their success is their teacher’s great merit, but still the program itself provides teachers with an opportunity to make students explore ESL at its maximum.