How have you survived ELT?

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

I survived lifelong ELT

How have you survived ELT?

Post by I survived lifelong ELT » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:07 am

Dear English teaching friends,

I have been teaching English for 44 years. I want to research what others think of the inductry in terms of pay, conditions, rip-offs, periods out of work, high management expectations for low pay and poor conditions, large classes, lack of full-time, continuing contracts, etc, etc, and how you have managed and coped with all of it. I am writing a paper on "surviving ELT and change management" from the point-of-view of teachers.

Please post your comments here on the forum and copy me in at my email address:

[email protected]

Thanks and best wishes,

Christopher James

danielwelsch

Post by danielwelsch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Hey Christopher,

I've only been teaching for six years. I've survived (so far) because I love what I do, and because I enjoy my life outside of work and where I live. When I stop loving Madrid, or the job, or my life, that'll be a sign it's time to change something.

Good luck with your article!
Daniel.

sburm

Post by sburm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 am

I have to agree with danielwelsch - and add that being in the ELT industry isn't the same as being in the steel industry or any other industry (unless you are not a teacher) as other industries are about careers. ELT is about the life that teaching lets you experience.

For those that I have met (I am in Japan) who have made teaching English their life, they seem to be disappointed with the industry and that is understandable! Currently it is basically everything you have pointed out - "[bad] pay, conditions, rip-offs, periods out of work, high management expectations for low pay and poor conditions, large classes, lack of full-time, continuing contracts, etc, etc,".

But if you find that you stay where-ever you are regardless and continue, I find it is important to stay light hearted, enjoy the small things, or anything you can.

I personally have had a bit of a rough ride, but am still here, and try to enjoy what I enjoy.